Connect with us

NEWS

BREAKING: Nigeria shuns WES, recalls Ambassador to South Africa

Published

on

The federal government has made arrangements to withdraw Nigeria’s High Commissioner in South Africa, Amb. Kabiru Bala for a consultation on xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in that country.

A source close to the presidency confirmed the new development to journalists in Abuja on Wednesday.

He said: “Nigeria also withdrew from the World Economic Forum on Africa in Cape Town, South Africa, scheduled for 4 to 6 September for xenophobic attacks.”

The Nigeria News Agency (NAN) reports that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo was tasked with representing Nigeria in the forum, while the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Malawi had already withdrawn from the event.

Presidents Paul Kagame (Rwanda), Felix Tshisekedi (DRC) and Peter Mutharika (Malawi) withdrew from the event.

The source added that Nigeria had also requested full compensation for the victims of the attacks.

According to the source, this is the result of President Muhammadu Buhari, Foreign Minister and Osinbajo, Geoffrey Onyeama, a brainstorming session on the furious xenophobic attacks of Nigeria in South Africa.

Onyeama had on Tuesday during at a joint news briefing with the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Bobby Moroe, insisted: “In the first place, we must address the issue of compensation.

“There has to be accountability and there has to be responsibility for compensating all those Nigerians that have suffered loss and we are going to absolutely push forward.”

READ ALSO:  Xenophobia: What Nigerians must do to South Africans – Pastor Adeboye

Buhari had on Sept. 3 dispatched a Special Envoy to convey to President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa his deep concerns over the unabated attacks on Nigerian citizens and property in South Africa since Aug. 29.

NAN reports that South Africans commenced fresh attacks, looting and burning of businesses and properties belonging to Nigerians and other nationals and in the process killed three people.

The President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Mr Adetola Olubajo, said on Monday that the attacks began on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set ablaze by an angry mob.

“The mob also looted several shops that were around the vicinity suspected to be owned by foreign nationals.

“But the Police later dispersed the mob and made some arrest.

“Late in the evening of Sunday, Sept. 1, a group of violent locals suspected to be Zulu hostel dwellers besieged Jules Street in Malvern; Johannesburg looted and burned shops and businesses with Nigerians being the most victims.

According to witnesses living on Jules Street, the Zulu hostel dwellers were very organised and well-coordinated in looting and burning of any shops/businesses suspected to be owned by foreign nationals.

NAN further reports that over 50 shops/businesses were destroyed, looted and burnt over the night in Malvern area of Johanesburg.