President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the northwestern state governments to carry out an urgent renewal of the national security apparatus in the subregion.
A statement released in Abuja on Sunday by Garba Shehu, his senior special assistant in Media and Advertising, said the association followed the infiltration of bandits into previously safe areas.
“This comes immediately after the recent murder of 34 people in an attack on the communities of Tungar Kafau and Gidan Wawa in the local Shinkafi government areas in Zamfara,” the presidential adviser said.
Shehu quoted President Buhari as expressing his regret at the renewed attacks and extended his condolences to the governments and peoples of the states of Sokoto and Zamfara.
The president accused all interested parties, including federal security agencies and states involved in developing the long-term strategic defense plan, to begin its immediate implementation.
”Under the plan, states are joining the federal government in supporting the security and military operations by providing logistical support.
”States are providing additional vehicles in addition to those provided from the center.
”The federal government is establishing new forward operation bases and when all of these come together, the ongoing operations will be scaled up,” the presidential aide added.
According to him, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the various State Emergency Management Agencies (SEMA) are expected to streamline their operations to provide succor to displaced persons.
He noted that thousands of the displaced persons were taking refuge in the neighboring Niger Republic.
Shehu expressed the hope that the full implementation of the plan would provide security for residents to return to their deserted communities.
He reiterated the determination of the Buhari administration to safeguard lives and property of all citizens, assuring that the government ”will not fail in that regard”.