The family of Favour Ekemedili, a Senior Secondary School 1 student of the Cedar College, Baruwa, in the Ipaja area of Lagos State, has been thrown into mourning after she allegedly died of drinking a beverage said to be laced with an insecticide, Sniper, on the school premises.
It was gathered that Favour was in the classroom receiving lectures with her classmates when she allegedly took the beverage.
Immediately after consuming the beverage, it was learnt that she started complaining of severe stomach ache and was rushed to the school’s sickbay for urgent medical treatment.
While the nurse on duty was examining her to ascertain the cause of the discomfort, it was gathered that Favour’s classmates, who saw when she took the beverage, were said to have shown the school management the leftover.
The beverage, after being examined, was discovered to be laced with Sniper and this prompted the school management to rush her to the General Hospital.
The Principal of the school, Samuel Adeliyi, said the management discovered that the beverage that Favour took was the cause of her stomach ache, because her classmates saw when she consumed it.
While commiserating with the bereaved family, the principal said the school management had paid a condolence visit to the family.
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Bala Elkana, in a statement on Sunday, said Favour died while receiving treatment at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital. He added that the remaining content of the beverage bottle had been taken to the laboratory for testing.
He stated that the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department had commenced investigation into the incident.