The Nigerian government said Thursday that it did not know that the South African foreign missions in Nigeria had been closed.
It was reported that South African Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor said the country temporarily closed its embassy in Nigeria, adding that his country had no plans to compensate those affected by the attacks.
He said South Africa was in constant contact with the Nigerian authorities to try to restore calm.
However, briefing State House correspondents on Thursday, Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama said, “We are not aware that the South African government has closed down its High Commission here in Abuja or its Consulate in Lagos.”
The Minister insisted that the President Muhammadu Buhari administration must go ahead to press for compensation on the attacks and destruction of the businesses of Nigerians in South Africa.
He explained that “inviting Nigeria’s High Commissioner to South Africa would help the Nigerian government get the necessary information on the recent attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.”